Saturday, March 11, 2023

Wandering Pachuca de Soto Hidalgo, la Bella Airosa

Mostly random pictures of Pachuca, Hildago









I felt quite safe in Pachuca but it is a city, I travel alone and things happen when you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, like just after sunrise, the city still hitting the snooze button, on a narrow lonely street with no windows and very little traffic. 
  Notice how narrow the sidewalks are. I saw another guy approaching from the opposite end.  I moved to one side. He had his side, I had mine. But as soon as I moved, so did he. Ok. I started to move sides again and he stopped. So did I. Both of us in the centre of the street. By then, we were close enough to get a better look at each other. This was no citizen. He was as mangy as the saddest street dog you have ever seen and had clearly been living rough for a long long while.  

I saw a man with absolutely nothing to lose, locking onto the early morning catch of the day.  In retrospect, I believe, if I were him, I couldn't have ignored such a golden opportunity either.  One push with all your weight, smacking an unsuspecting head hard against the wall.  Smack him again fast just to make sure and grab whatever he had.

I was in a situation, wondering if I was still fast enough to escape an attack.  I'd say he'd been in a lot more fights than I've ever had. A hard sprint was the only practical option, fighting only if necessary and no surrender. We kept closing in on each other. Two paces away. And then 2 cars came clattering down the cobblestones. Game over. Saw the disappointment in his eyes. By the time the cars were gone, I had put enough distance between us he'd never catch me. More cars came by. The city was finally waking up. So long, desparado. Keep your chin up.



The rest of the day was quite peaceful.
 






This is the Jardin del Arte with lots of shaded spots to escape the sun and read that tattered paperback crime thriller.






















 



No comments: