Thursday, March 9, 2023

Detour to Pachuca


With the help of my good friend, Isaac, I found an alternative to navigating the crowded Mexico City Metro with 2 full backpacks on my way to Tolantongo.
See you later, Huatulco

Hello, Mexico City. All I had to do was find that bus station to Pachuca. I spotted a Ticket Bus booth first. Progress. A flashing sign announced the bus was already boarding but the station was still nowhere in sight. The young guy came around from behind the counter and told me to follow him. He took me right to the station. We practically ran. Outstanding service.
I was the last person on board. I made it.

Arriving at the Pachuca terminal, I was uncertain what to do next. This was nowhere near a hotel district. A young guy just returning from a few months in Toronto overheard me asking general directions to the centre and stepped up to offer help in fluent English. Even better, he offered to give me a lift with the friend who was picking him up. Normally, I would never accept a ride from a stranger at a bus station or airport but my instincts didn't pick up on anything predatory. Edgar was just a genuine good natured helpful guy and I accepted the offer. Even so, I couldn't help thinking about how I'd promised people I'd be careful.
Saying goodbye at the center park to allies.

Edgar's friend warned me the  town would be full because of Inernational Women's Day demonstrations and maneuvering on the streets wouldn't be too easy with a big backpack. He also warned that the demonstrators tended to be destructive.

I found an affordable room.

Unburdened, after more than hour carrying that backpack, I was off to check out Pachuca.

This giant clock, Reloj Monumental, built to commemorate 100 years of Independence in 1910 is easily the pride of Pachuca and the best landmark to look for if you lose your bearings.


Here's a little taste of international Women's Day vandalism.


 
My first meal at La Blanca. The food was great but it was the interior of the place that drew me in.
 


No, it doesn't work and there are no records but what a beautiful old jukebox.

Men's and women's bathrooms are easy to find.














3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific pics Edward. Looking forward to following your adventure.

Anonymous said...

KEEP EM COMING BUT TRY NOT TO GET INTO ANY MORE VEHICLES WITH STRANGE MEN

priendly said...

Probably never going to do it again. My instincts told me it was cool. There was nothing shady about Edgar and his buddy.