Monday, October 13, 2008

No Storm

It's a sunny morning in Zipolite. I'm all packed up, ready to go. I really wouldn't mind staying another day but I'm determined to see if Lake Atitlan lives up to the hype. Zipolite is like that. You wake up to a perfect morning on the ocean and can't take seriously the idea of anything or any place else being important enough to warrant the effort.

I would have left last Thursday but there was a serious storm warning. A few locals warned me of an approaching hurricane. So much for travelling. I bought snacks and alcohol and prepared to settle in for a bit of a breeze. I was kind of looking forward to it; listening to the fierce howl against my shutters, sipping quietly from a bottle of mezcal. I didn't take it too seriously. The Brisa Marina is a solid construction.

I warned neighbors about it but they were skeptical. The woman next door to me found a hurricane website with live satellite feeds and, sure enough, there was a big cloud of white spinning around out there. I was like Chicken Little, checking on friends, spreading the news. But it didn't happen. The sky looked promising for a while. The waves were more than a little rough out there the next day but it's not as if wedon't see the occasional rough water days here.

But check out the pictures. It looked promising for a while.



No comments: