Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Epic Beach Road Trip: Zipolite and San Augustillino

By Semana Santa Monday, I felt like doing a little exploring and hit the road for Puerto Escondido and points along the way.

I handled the road with caution, pulling over every time I spotted someone in my mirror. There's nothing I can do about it on a stretch of sharp hard turns and that's usually when the impatient motorist shows up. It takes a maximum wait of two minutes to get through most of these patches but one guy just had to pass me on a sharp downhill blind turn. Usually these people aren't even going that much faster than I am. I have to put my brakes on to help them back in the lane on time. Madness.

First stop, Zipolite. Almost there. Uh-oh. Road obstruction. Looks like it came down completely on termite power.

Driving strategy: come to complete stop and check for oncoming traffic. Average vacationer strategy: pull out immediately and accelerate. I hope someone moved this out of harm's way before too long.

It was early enough that Zipolite didn't feel too crowded but that can change in the blink of an eye on Semana Santa. One minute I was the only customer at this beachside restaurant, enjoying a second breakfast, when, boom, 30 people descended on the panicked solo waitress all at once.

The yellow flags must have been left over from the day before because I didn't feel good about that water. It was too rough for my my boogie board but I needed to get wet. I splashed around in strong sandy waves near the shore for a bit and moved on.

Next stop, beautiful San Augustillino where the water was calmer but still rather high. I was content with another refreshing dip. Got some of the sand out of my ears this time


And onwards.

No comments: