Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Beach Barbecue


Semana Santa has begun. One week of sleeping in and following where ever whims lead. Most of my friends and co-workers have hit the road to distant points of the country and won't be seen again until it's time to punch the clock on Monday.

We had a great barbecue on Saturday morning at Playa Organo with Mike serving up tender steak sandwiches, Matthew caramelizing chicken wings to perfection and Asa providing a huge fish for the vegetarians amongst us. There is always too much food at these events. Somehow it all gets eaten. Most of us have learned to pace ourselves and save room for the best stuff so my lazy contribution of chips remained untouched.

I could barely move, all flopped out in the shade from where these pics were taken. Eventually I forced myself up and staggered in to the water for a long lazy swim\float. The water isn't chilly at all these days and in another month it will be soup again. By the time I drifted back, everyone else was up tossing frisbees.

Playa Organo has become "The Beach" for several reasons. It is onefot he few palapa free zones remaining that doesn't always attract huge crowds and the currents are benign.

We didn't have the place entirely to ourselves but it wasn't too bad for Semana Santa. I decided to linger with my book when the rest packed up. That lasted for about 15 minutes when a man from a huge clan further down the beach came up to regale me in Spanish about his religion. So much for personal space. I was surprised how much I understood. But I wasn't interested. His daughter stole my water bottle when I went behind the trees to change. Time to go. The best part of the day had ended with the party. Except for two independents, probably blood relatives, the faithful all had their heads bowed in prayer when I left.

No comments: