Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Epic Beach Road Trip: Ventanilla




There are so many beaches along this coast. I decided to skip Mazunte for another day and pushed on to Playa Ventanilla, a place I had never been. This is the beach that offers wetland tours. It is the least developed beach of this area and it is huge. I had no idea. Not so many people go there so I'd assumed it was tiny. How about 70 kms long? That means I was on the same beach back in November last year when I checked out the crocodiles near Puerto Escondido with Fernanado, only at the opposite end.



With all of this wide open sand and ocean, I asked a local guide about the camping possibilities. He said no one had a problem with it. What about the crocodiles? If I pushed the Italika through the dry sand and motored down the hard packed wet sand about 10 kms and popped a tent, would crocodiles start crawling out of the jungle for an easy meal? No. Really? I needed to be sure about this. He said they never attack unless you touch them so have a good look at that log before parking your butt. That's quite reassuring but "never" is such an extreme word, I think I'll research a bit further before committing to the idea.

The waves were the best I'd seen that day for the boogie board. I was told they reach 9 metres in September. Yow. I didn't go in this time. I pushed on but Ventanilla is definitely worth a return visit. I want to take the crocodile tour some day and spend the night in the cabana with the panoramic ocean view.

No comments: