Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Playa Organo and how to get there


Playa Organo is one of our favorite beaches. It isn't large

but there's plenty of space to enjoy a bit of solitude. Few tourists show up unless they hire a charter boat. The ones that do don't tend to stay very long. Sometimes there isn't another soul there outside my circle of friends.

It's a clean beach for a reason. Some of my friends, the early birds, who are already in the water while I'm enjoying my first cup of coffee, scour the beach with bags and pick up everything left by the slobs too lazy to carry their own trash away. Just thought I'd mention that in case you follow these directions. If you're reading this blog, you're already cool in my books and I figure you know what to do. Some of these tourists are probably just as bad at home. I bet they don't even recycle.

So, other than investing in a charter boat, how do you get there? That's part of the fun. There is a 10 to 12 minute trail from the road to Maguey and Cacaluta about a third of the way from the last turnaround back to Entrega. Pictures tell the story a little better.

OK. Over this hill.

Watch out for the potholes. They start almost immediately over the lip of the hill but the worst are at the bottom. All the locals know about these natural speed bumps but they're easy to miss if you're not expecting them. I hit them pretty hard on the scooter once.



Ok. this is the part you're looking for.
It isn't very distinct from the rest of the road so look for the fallen tree.
If you happen to be there on Saturday, look for these scooters all chained together on the opposite side. They belong to me and the people I like to think of as my motorcycle gang and they provide a fairly regular landmark.

The first step is rather large. Take your time.
Duck your head under the fallen tree.

You've arrived at the arroyo. Turn right.
You have a pretty shaded walk ahead of you. You're bound to encounter a bit of wildlife along the way.







By the time you reach the sunny tall grass area, you're about 2/3rds there. It won't be long now.

Suddenly, tah-dah. You're there. Have an excellent day. Don't forget to take the trash back where it came from.

No comments: