Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day of the Dead


There was some excitement after work at UMAR with our very own Day of the Dead. By the end of the week I'm usually pretty beat but this was worth sticking around for after punching out on Friday night. Different groups spent the afternoon preparing altars.



Some of my classes this week have involved making our own scary movie with a script I whipped out by ripping off "The Evil Dead" and cutting it down to ten minutes. We had a scary mask and a cardboard chainsaw.
If that sounds like fun, it was even better. I was still in the mood for that kind of fun on Friday and UMAR's festival was the perfect thing.

There was a feeling of excitement in the air. I wanted to take pictures of everything but the Sony didn't cooperate too well in that lighting. Day of the Dead isn't as morbid or campy as Halloween. It's a happy and sentimental remembrance of those who have passed away. I was glad to see that people dressed up for the affair though. There was a strong Goth element present.








Knives through the head were popular.


The altars were cool.






Fun times.

3 comments:

Amaury said...

hey man goods pictures and good night...the dead smiled all the time and the creatures of the night danced over the altares....that's very funny...Amaury..

priendly said...

Hey Amaury, I'm glad you found the blog. I always double-check my text to make sure I don't have horrible grammar or spelling mistakes just in case one of my students or employers find it. There are two mistakes in the most recent entry. Di8d you notice them. I'm going to change them right away. Excellent work on the movie.

priendly said...

Oh no. There are more mistakes on the comment I left and the blog won't allow me to edit them.