Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tragedy at Beta Centauro: Caught in an Insecticide Crossfire

My new apartment came with some pets. I loved the geckos. It was the little ants I couldn't stand. If I had taken Mike's advice, my little geckos would still be alive today. All I had to do was keep the place scrupulously clean and the ants would have skipped town.
The previous tenants didn't seem to mind the hive living right in the bamboo of the table frame. I took care of that with a liberal spray of Windex. They all came tearing out, holding little eggs over their heads. Pssst. Have a little more.
I didn't have enough patience so I bought a big can of insecticide, potent stuff guaranteed to kill cockroaches, ants and spiders. Sadly it kills geckos too. They might want to put that on the label some day.

I found the biggest of them all dried up on my window sill, newly arrived ants crawling all over him. I haven't found the bug sized babies. Maybe they escaped but I doubt it.
As reptiles go, most people would agree that geckos are cute as they come. They eat ants. Well, they weren't doing nearly a good enough job at my place. Still, they were cute and now they aren't

No comments: