Monday, September 14, 2009

Nuevo domicilio

Here it is. My new apartment. Bigger, better and brighter than the last hat stand. Some days you just can't lose. Look at that nice clean tile floor. No more dirty green carpet for this lad.

Not only did I get the bulk of my deposit back from the last place but I had my smoothest visit to the Immigration Office ever when I made the update on my FM3. The apartment administrator took off 250 for paint and cleaning although the place needed a paint job when I arrived and I cleaned up behind behind myself pretty well. I didn't quibble since there was a hole in my bedroom door from the night I locked myself out. I hold them responsible for that since they put locks on some doors without providing keys but who wants to get in an argument when some might say my case was weak. I was glad to get out of there. I took that deposit and dropped it on a new camera.


Hey look. Three wicker swivel barstools

Arthur volunteered his big red truck and Mike showed up ready to pitch in with some heavy lifting. The whole move took less than half an hour. My entire worldly possessions didn't look like much out in the parking lot. A taxi could have taken most of it. We even threw the ten speed in. Mike drove me back to pick up the scooter and the administrator was there on the spot showing another apartment. I gave her the keys. Wahoo. I was gone.
Like the last place, it has a ton of furniture but it's all in better taste and doesn't feel excessive. You can still move around comfortably. I may even move a small work desk under one of the windows. I was afraid to call open house so I had a soft opening with just the regular gang, some semi-regulars and a couple of cool teachers visiting from Oaxaca City. There were maybe ten of us and furniture to spare. Good times.

Hidden behind my boogie board is a bottle opener embedded in the concrete wall. Nice touch.
Wind and light pour through these windows. There is a view. It's nothing panoramic but it's nice to look out and see palm trees and pigeons on the terra cotta roofs. My bedroom window window overlooks a pool.

Because I'm on the top floor I get a real patio. Right now it's still just a laundry area but it has such huge potential. The previous tenants left a barbecue, there will be no trouble hanging a hammock and there's plenty of room left for a little bistro table and a couple of chairs. Breakfast in the sun and dinner under the stars.

No comments: