Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Far Side of Santa Cruz






 Last Wednesday, I checked off an old item from my bucket list.  I've been whimsically toying with the idea of exploring the small beaches on the other side of Santa Cruz, past the cruise ship wharf, for years.  I mentioned it to William the previous morning and he was interested so we called Isaac and off we went.   The first beach gets a little traffic but not too much.  It's perfect for families with small children.  The water isn't very deep and they are no waves to speak of.


Even at 8:30 AM, it's very quiet here.  You can say that about all of Huatuclo these days but I think that's normal for this quiet little cove.  There's a great boat launch here for small craft.



The canal from the marina is right on the other side of that red beacon light.








Here we are prepping for our journey.  People can rent kayaks somewhere around here.  That's the usual way for visiting the series of tiny beaches.  As far as I know, people don't swim out there too often.


Here we are resting at the sixth beach.  Will doesn't rest for very long.

Will and Isaac both brought googles for the trip.  I wish I had too because once you're past the second beach, there is a coral reef all the way to the end and there is so much to see.  Will, sharp-eyed as ever, spotted a child's snorkeling mask with a broken strap at the bottom so I could just hold it up too my face and take short peeks of everything down there.  Next time, and there will be a next time, I'm bringing my goggles.



I think this is beach number 5.  Apparently all of these beaches have individual names but there was no one there to tell us and no signs.









Group shot.   That was a fun day.  Thanks, Isaac for sharing some of your great pics.



No comments: