Friday, December 30, 2016

Return to Sendero Cruz del Monte Huatulco Destination: Cacaluta




Over a year ago, I posted pictures from a cycling trip with a friend on the Sendero Cruz del Monte Huatulco  or, in English, Cruz del Monte trail.  Romeo and I had woken super early to follow this trail I'd found on a tourist map.  Three days ago, I took the trail again with some other friends, only this time we took the left fork instead of the right.  Romeo and I were pretty sure that the left route led to Cacaluta but Isaac knew it for a fact.   It's not marked on the map.  Check the previous entry for a photo of the map.   There's another trail there but the map looks like you would have to beat through the bush to get there first.   It's not the case.  When you find the fork, go left for Cacaluta.  The other direction is more of a road as in the picture above of the trailhead just off the residential section of Santa Cruz.

Just tonight I met a guy downtown on vacation looking for places to explore on his mountain bike so I hope this entry helps him find his way.





    Just taking a break here.  The fork isn't too far ahead at this point.   Hmm.  Now I wish I had taken a picture of the fork but it looks like we've just passed it on this photo with my handlebars sticking in the picture.  You can tell it's a different grade of trail from what we had been traveling.  It's good, just a bit narrower.




The arroyo continues on but you can see the trail continues at this point over the hump to the left.  I had the advantage of seeing visible bicycle tracks leading the way.



Sadly, I didn't take any more pictures of the trail.  Eventually it transforms into a well packed dirt road.  There is one more fork where you should turn right.  Otherwise you will end up at the gate by the main road but at least you won't get lost.  There are two other trails I know into Cacaluta but they are not bicycle friendly at all.

Here we are at our main destination, beautiful Cacaluta.









Update January 1st, 2033. Posted a youtube video startimg from the highway end of the trail to Cacaluta.


No comments: