Monday, December 17, 2012

A Day at Cacaluta

     I haven't been to Cacaluta in such a long time but friends persuaded me to move my lazy self and meet them there a coupe of weekiends ago.  We used to go to the opposite end but there's a new-to-us trail through the woods that leads from Maguey to this side.  The original idea was to go together but they like to start off way too early.  Breakfast with lots of coffee is a huge priority on my Saturdays.
    I got lost.  Somehow, I went off the trail.  Maybe I was fooled by a patch of sunlight.  Hard to say for sure but there came a time when I was confronted with nothing but dense brush.  I didn't panic.  I thought about my options.  In a worst case scenario, like an attack by a wild animal, I could probably crash through that brush.  I could already hear the ocean ahead.  It coudn't be far.  I chose to backtrack instead while I still remembered the landmarks.  I was on the beach in another ten minutes.  Those tiny figures way down there are Mike, Rowena and Yulma.


    There's Mike standing in front of a big school of very excited fish.  A word of advice.  When the fish are jumping like crazy as they are here, get out of their way.   Months back, I was enjoying a night swim at Santa Cruz when one of them smacked me in the face.  It was like getting punched.  It snapped my head back.  I swam to shore  and pulled a piece of fin out of the corner of my eye.  Blood was pouring down my face.  A doctor at the maternity hospital pulled out some smaller pieces and gave me some antibiotics

No comments: