Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Life in UMAR Huatulco

Just outside of Huatulco is a little place called Rio Copalita that features an iguanarium for tourists. I’ve considered stopping in some time to have a splash in their cool little river on the way to Barra de la Cruz but, as for the iguanarium, I often feel I work in one. They are everywhere on campus.



Behind our language lab, this preening cactus is ready for a close-up.

They really take care of students and staff here at UMAR. I’ve been too busy to hear anything about the swine flu vaccination being available already and I probably wouldn’t have had time to line up at the hospital for my shot anyways. I stepped out of my class a few weeks ago and there it was, waiting for me. They brought the flu vaccination to us.




Nobody likes needles but everyone stepped up. Neglecting the shot isn’t just a matter of personal risk. If you catch the flu, you can pass it on to others. My trick is to just look away. If I watch, my arm will stiffen.

It’s a friendly cooperative atmosphere. Theresa, one of our English teachers, got a flat on her lunch break. Within minutes, she found herself surrounded by helpful and willing assistants.




It’s a small community here. I finally found a little rock ‘n’ roll cafe, La Impudenta Patata Cafe, I’ve been looking for. Surprise, there is one of my best students working on a slow night. It’s a groovy little place in Sector J, near Infonavit. It was just me and Alexis on the school night but by Friday, people were spilling on to the street and it was standing room only for latecomers.



This last pic is relatively early on a Friday night.

I had no idea Teacher’s Day was last week but a hard working student didn’t forget. Nice surprise. It was a nice coffee mug filled with chocolate.


Life is full of surprises here. Most of them are good and some are even delicious.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I'm so jealous! All I see outside my window are pigeons and squirrels! I just applied for a job at UMAR Huatulco...maybe I'll get to meet you, and see the Iguanarium some day.