Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Zipolite Sunset

One of my friendly neighbors at the Brisa Marina was out on the shore line to capture a magnificent sunset when I walked into her frame. That's me on the left, packing in the board for another day, on my way for a shower. Only two more days of vacation after that night. It must have been the next day that some ******* stole my sunglasses while I was in the water. They were just cheap ones, easily broken, so I had them carefully laid out on my shirt, in full view. I saw a group of guys walk suspiciously close to my stuff as they passed by into a cabana area. that's when he must have swooped down and snatched them. Just a crime of opportunity. They didn't go through my bag or my shirt or I would have lost cash and an MP3 player as well. I saw the guy when I was packing up for a break from the sun. He was leaving the cabanas with just one of his friends, both of them around early to mid-twenties, super cool badass dudes. It wasn't the sunglasses that gave the game away. They were kind of generic looking. It was the grin the bastard gave me. He turned his head to flash them at me as if to say "Ha ha. Fuck you." His little buddy smirked at me with a little toss of the head. I thought out loud. "Those guys look like a couple of *******s." I was glad to see that comment wiped the grins and smirks away. They looked kind of threatened. They might have thought I was stalking them. I just happened to be walking that way along the shore behind them. They started sticking their skinny arms out as if they were muscle bound. No more cocky smirks, that's for sure. I don't fight but they didn't know that. And I certainly wasn't going to challenge them without proof. Those glasses were so cheap and ordinary I couldn't prove they were mine. It put me in a bad mood. I grumped and complained about it to people. One young lady nearby said someone stole her hammock. Three people I've known lost laptops. It brought my petty loss in perspective. Still, the image of their make believe tough guy taunts... On the bright side, one of the people I know who lost his laptop got it back and the thief is festering in a Pochutla jail, waiting to be shipped back to France.

No comments: