Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Playa Balandra, La Paz, Baja California

 Balandra appears to be the main tourist attraction in La Paz.  

As far as I can tell, all the tours you can sign up for end up here.  Or, you can do as I did and just take the tourist bus from the tourist shuttle service for 140 pesos return trip. There is no cell phone service out there so you can't depend on taxis or Uber.


It's a protected beach. Access is limited. If you arrive at 8 AM, you have to leave by 1145. Naturally, there are stragglers.  Everyone wants to stay just a little bit longer.  Police show up with sirens whooping to chase people along. By 1PM, new visitors are allowed to enter and stay until 6.

The first bus of the day doesn't leave until 9 AM, leaving only a little more than 2 hours. I had to visit again.  So I'm wearing 2 completely different shirts in this post.


This is the trail for the panoramic overview




That last peak was just a bit too dizzying for me and you really wouldn't want to be there in a crowded situation.  There is a lot less standing room.  I changed my mind about climbing there and backed down once. But I took a deep breath, told myself to stop thinking so much and eventually made it to the top.



Proof I made it to the top.



Time to get wet.


A staring contest with some fish.


I went for the afternoon session for the 2nd trip.


Heading for the north side this time.

If you're not carrying anything,  just wade or swim around the rocks. Orherwise, wear crocs, water shoes or sandals. There's no good way to get safely around the rocks in bare feet. I tried, gave up and soaked my sneakers. Better that than soaking my Kindle. I'd been reading The Wolf's Hour by Robert MacGammon, and so engrossed the kindle was always within reach.


That's the main point of interest dead ahead.

Stay off the dunes. It's one of the rules.  





Mushroom Rock. Hongo.


Some signs shouldn't be necessary but really are.  Influencers, looking for that perfect shot, will disturb those dunes, collect natural souvenirs and climb where they're not wanted.

Sadly, tourists kept climbing the rock until it collapsed.  It has since been restored to its original place with steel cables.  The climbers must have been a bloody mess when it came down. Those rocks are hard and jagged.




It was a long walk before finding deep water.









One last note about the bus service.  At the terminal, the return times are all listed as 15 minutes on the hour. 11:15, 12:15 and so on but they arrive on the hour and sometimes a bit earlier. I think the times listed at the station are for when they actually arrive at the terminal, not the time they pick you up.

No comments: