Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Puerto Escondido weekend










Here are some pictures from a run to Puerto Escondido a couple of months back. It's such a beautiful place but I don't get down too often.

Last trip there was a lot of street construction in Zicatela. That's all been completed now except for a few finishing touches. Check out the spanking new public shower building. It looks ready for business. It's still locked up for now though.


I arrived in plenty of time before sundown to check out Zicatela beyond the paved road.
Those clouds ahead moved in quickly and turned dark, putting a little pressure on to find a room for the night.


All the affordable places in Zicatela were packed for a big surfer competition and a lady advised me to move on to Carazilillo.

There isn't too much accomodation in Carazilillo to choose from but I found my sanctuary after a few misfires. First I tried a nice looking place with a bell to ring for service. A maintenance man came along and called the front desk on his cellphone. I didn't even know if I could afford that place and five minutes and several warning rumbles of thunder later, we were still waiting for a response and the sky had turned black.

I moved on to Shalom. The gate was open and I gave myself the complete tour of the premises without seeing a soul. The first rain drops had started to fall.

I ended up in a nice place with an ocean view and a pool I had completely to myself during the day until a huge family returned from the beach for 150 pesos. It was a great place to watch the heavy lightning storm.




Here's a great view of Carazilillo from the balocony of another hotel I couldn't afford. I checked the place out anyway.

I left early Sunday morning. No one was awake to open the gate at the hotel. I pushed the scooter through the pedestrian door.

I bombed around town before breakfast and found a whole section I had never seen before, full of palatial hotels.



I nearly always have breakfast at Cafecito's in Zicatela when I'm in town. I felt like a change. Some of these other places had to be worth a try. When I saw the giant shark mouth for a door, my decision had been made.

What could be more inviting?

The food was very simple and cheap. They weren't as organized as Cafecito's. They're new after all. The menu was a choice of 5 set breakfasts and they were running out of almost everything by the time I got there. But they have a giant shark mouth for a door!

The rest of the place was two stories made up like an old wooden ship. Great panoramic beach views.





Riding home, the highway was a cool tunnel of green, merging ahead at the vanishing point and I almost smashed through this fallen tree.

No comments: