Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Brave Little Toaster


My apartment has such a high ceiling that I didn't smell a thing until smoke had filled the room and descended on my head from above and roaring flames were ripping out of the toaster. The toasterr came with the apartment and I knew it was trouble the minute I laid eyes on it. It didn't pop but I could plug it in and fish my bread out with a fork or knife. Not the sort of appliance you ever want to turn your back on.


The pictures could have been a lot more dramatic but I was too busy getting the inferno outside apartment before the fire caught the paint. It was still an impressive little campfire on the patio. I stared at it and thought "Hey, cool picture." but I was too slow findinng the camera in my smoked out apartment.

It was still crackling at thei point. If you threw a few dry logs on those coals, you'd have a good blaze in two to three minutes.

When everything cooled, I put it in a garbage bag. No more of that. Before I went shopping for a replacement, a friend passed me a new one.


Now this is a special toaster. Four years ago, when Graham left Miahuatlan for Korea, he left me this toaster as a parting gift and I believe it was one of only two in the entire town at the time. There weren't any available in local stores. When I left for Korea myself, I passed it on to Mike and now, years later, I've got the same machine again and it works as good as ever. Mike has already upgraded to a toaster oven. Thanks Graham and Mike. Sure, I toyed with the idea of some "raising a toast" pun but who needs it?

No comments: