Monday, September 27, 2010

The Rainy Season Slowly Peters Out



This year's rainy season has been heavier than any other I've experienced before. You can tell it's almost behind us. There are occasional blue skies, sometimes even for whole days.

Our wet vacation is long behind us now. There were a few mishaps. One of our staff wiped out on his motorcycle on a rainy road. My own accident wasn't related to weather, just bad driving. At least I wasn't hurt. I came across a surprise tope at night and yanked on the brakes. The scooter wiped out and I jumped right off, landing nicely on my spongey new sneakers. Lost a mirror. I miss it. A bit of gasoline spilled out of the tank. I wonder if this machine would explode in a head-on collision, like in the movies.

When is an arroyo not an arroyo? Rainy season. This is our usual path to Playa Organo where the water was rougher than I've seen before. It felt a little dicey swimming out there some times.

Summer vacation ended and summer school began. The rain kept coming. When it isn't rainy season, I like to blame all the stupid things I do on the heat. What else is there? Maybe a sleep deficit. Yeah, that's it. It's not like I'm chronically forgetful and leave my card in banking machines every day.

I fell asleep one lunch break and managed to wake up on time to throw the essentials in my backpack, head out the door and forget my keys. That's such a horrible realization. Sometimes you don't feel in your pocket before closing the door but you look in your pocket and they're there anyway. Not this time.

This meant no scooter. I'd have to grab a cab to school and worry about the lock later. probably best to let someone else do the driving on a stupid day. I turned around before I realized I was trapped between my apartment and the locked gate that keeps intruders off the top floor landing. No one was home at the other upstairs apartment and, since I was already running behind, the chances of any coworkers walking by were nil.




I tried calling the school. My phone was dead. A huge pothole digging rainstorm started up. All I could do was finish my nap on the cold dirty tile with my pack under my head for a pillow. I even thought about pulling out my laptop and sending an email but the battery has been dead for months.

I lay there, trying not to think of anything that would make me want to use the bathroom. Eventually Mike called me. I can still receive calls when my phone time has expired. He spread the word and promised to look in on me later and arrange a locksmith rescue if necessary. Caryl covered my classes.


By a miracle, the woman below came out of her apartment. Her mother is the administrator for the building and they were just going out for an early dinner. I didn't know it at the time but my next door neighbors wouldn't be back until quite late that evening. She got the backup keys for the apartment and passed them through the bars to me. I was free. And only 15 minutes late for my first class but Caryl already had that under control by then.



Summer school is behind us now. The skies are gradually clearing. We're all set for a brand new semester here at UMAR Huatulco.

No comments: