Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Quiet Morning in Zicatela






I woke at dawn next day. Lots of time to walk around Puerto Escondido and take that road home slowly. So here are some pretty pictures of this beach paradise.



Two beaches from one vantage point.

Playa Principal

Playa Zicatela


One more hearty breakfast at Cafecitos

I took a break on the way back with a little detour at Zipolite to catch some waves. That little delay ensured I got caught in the rain. It started coming down as soon as I hit the highway. My instinct said that road was slick and I refused to take any sharp turns at more than 30 kmh. Other vehicles were more considerate than ususal and didn't tailgate or try passing on the blind turns. I pulled over whenever possible to clear the way but there were never many people behind me. After such a terrific weekend, my biggest priority was to get home alive. I didn't care if it was going to take an extra 2 hours.


Not everyone made the trip intact. I was almost home again, about half a kilometer from UMAR, when I came across a road block with grim faced policemen slowing everyone down to 20. Way down over the bank lay a pickup truck. Looked like the kind that might not have seat belts. It was quite a drop. Probably broke the driver's neck. Either he went around a curve too fast or someone slid into his lane and he took the fall to avoid the crash. Same result as far as he was concerned.
It's good to be alive. Drive safely

No comments: