Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Barra de la Cruz


Been meaning to visit la Barra since I got here. It's about 40 minutes from Crucecita and definitely worth the trip. I rode the scooter. The happy go lucky Huatulco split double-laned highway won't take you all the way but the regular road isn't half as scary as the one towards the airport. Drivers seemed more sensible and patient and there weren't as many of them. Beautiful countryside along the way.

Traffic was sane enough for me to try making a vid of the journey with the new Olympus in my left hand. It didn't interfere with steering too much. I'm not a daredevil. The problem was that the lens is in the upper left corner and I ended up with several minutes of my finger and the sound of the engine. You 'll have to take my word about how scenic the trip was.

The exit to la Barra is just about impossible to miss. Follow the Corona arrow to the right and down a poured concrete road until you reach the base of the hill. You're practically there. Pay 20 pesos at the gate and drive on through.

Turn to the right to circumvent the wetland lake. Surfers all start out at the cove at the end. Some of them end up swimming the lake as a shortcut on the way back. I'd rather walk myself.



The beach is huge. I'm guessing about 3 kms minimum but this is the cove where everyone goes. No bad currents as far as I can tell and the surfers can almost walk out to catch near perfect waves. They get quite the ride, often all the way back to the lake.
This leaves a lot of private beach space for anyone heading in the opposite direction.



My Olympus waterproof camera wasn't all it was supposed to. It died that day by the time I got home, probably from a small leak. Got my money back though. These pictures of Barra de la Cruz and my self portrait with the gob of lotion under my eye are all I have to show for this latest attempt at a camera.

No comments: