Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What have I done?

It has been a very bad year for cameras. The latest Canon may come back to life after it dries out but I'm not counting on it. I took it into the water at Entrega on Sunday and the waterproof bag let me down. The camera strap might have snagged in the velcro, preventing a perfect seal or there might have been a pin prick hole. Either way, I can never trust that bag again. It cost me yet another camera. 

  I finally bought myself a scooter yesterday. We get bonuses at the end of the school year. That's where mine went.

 I hesitated about this for a long time. There is a very real danger that I won't get all the exercise I need. I need more exercise, not less. I've had a lot of daymares about this too, never having owned or operated motorized vehicles before, at least not in any significant way. I've thought of every worst case scenario. Like absent-mindedly confusing the gas with the brakes or running over a small child.

 I wasn't prepared to drive it home on my home so the salesman drove it for me. Two hours later, I knew it was time to get on that saddle and get the feel for it. Down the street, Asa's cats were waiting to be fed. The slightest touch on the gas and that bike jumps forward. This was going to take some practise. I made it safely down the street, fed the cats and moved along.

 Leaving the parking lot, I had my first little panic attack. Coming my way were two women with three small children. Quick. Think now. Brakes and gas. Which are which? It was fine. They never came close.

 Emboldened after navigating two major intersections, I drove down a main drag. Vroom. Gosh, how fast was I speeding along anyways? I had to check. Um, 20 kmh. It felt fast to me.

 The more I drove, the better it felt. I kept going. I cranked the Hives on my MP3 player. Rock 'n' roll. Better and better. At first, as a novice, I didn't fell entitled to pass anyone but this couple was just putting along. Eventually I left them behind at an intersection. I heard the Hives singing "Get out of my way...". I was going fifty!

 Not for long. It was quite a thrill. It's a 150 cc bike and Mike figures it can go 100 easily enough. Just this minute I heard a crash and looked over the Casa Mayor railing to see a small collision that has brought downtown traffic around the zocalo to a standstill. A big truck went into the back of a small car and the truck lost its front fender. Must have been taped on. The truck driver won't move and tour buses can't back up. Good reminder that it's okay to be paranoid in traffic. 

 I chose my routes carefully, avoiding certain places I didn't feel ready for and found myself in a residential labyrinth, trying to get home again while avoiding Chahue Boulevarde, in particular the corner with huge Pemex station. Found myself in a dead end with small children. I was cool. Turned around slowly. First stop sign, I reached for the brake and the bike surged ahead. I wrenched the handlebars and narrowly avoided piling into a parked taxi cab, minding its own business. It was time to go home. My luck seemed to be running out. 

 I escaped the labyrinth only to find myself right where I didn't want to be; on Chahue Boulevarde a block away from Pemex with no way to turn around. Worse, I had to pull up right behind a truck full of Policia Munipal. OK. Brakes. Gas, Which is which? I made it home just fine, feeling exhilirated.

 Mike and Rowena came over to check it out. Mike thought it was a good set of wheels. I didn't know it was an all-terrain model. The tires are made for rough terrain. That made sense. I did that gas instead of brakes move over a speed bump like I was trying to pop a wheelie and didn't feel too jarred. I had crossed a bridge to follow the canal back on the other side and found myself on a rough stretch of wilderness road with big rocks to navigate around. It wasn't a problem for me.

 Another guy was walking his scooter. So today is for joy-riding. It's going to take a bit more practise before I feel comfortable about transporting my boogie board. I've seen people doing it but it must throw the balance off somewhat. Today I think I'll scope out Rio Copalita and La Bocana. My only worry is the corner onto the highway by Elektra because you have to cross two lanes after a stop sign and there's another stop sign waiting as soon as you cross. It's like an island. It's going to take some accelerating and braking finesse. After that, I think it's just a matter of avoiding potholes. I think.

No comments: