Saturday, November 16, 2013

2013 UMAR Huatulco Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead had a new location this year at UMAR Huatulco. Costumes are mostly traditional face painting but a little variety is okay too. Time to go.



Carmen and I arrived together. I didn't see her again that night. She just vanished in the darkness.
.




People arrived soon afterwards in a procession.





Shouldn't some of these students be more afraid of me? I am a vampire.



Edelma was very brave.


Nancy was just plain fearless.


Here I am, making friends with more dead people.








Mexico has the best hot chocolate in the world.




The young lady on my left sang us a lovely song that night. Great voice.


Yulma standing proudly in front of the altar she created with her students.



Me standing proudly in front of Yulma's altar.







Mayetsi looks a little nervous.



Here's Ilce looking about as scary as possible, for Ilce that is.



I'm not afraid of Ilce.

I am the scariest person in the whole place.


Uh, wait a minute.


It's not a word I use every day but "ghastly" feels right.










The rest of these pictures are all courtesy of Matthew Glasheen.  Some of the ones above are likely his too but I forget which ones.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog and wanted to quiz you about Huatulco! Might be moving there in September to teach at UMAR. If you could email me, that'd be great! christikrussell@gmail.com